Libraries offer several key areas of support for our educational partners in the following areas:
- Reading Readiness/Modeling of Reading Skills
- Life Long Learning Environment
- Community Support and Collaboration
- Parenting Programs
Libraries adapt literacy concepts to their services in very unique and different ways. One of these areas of support is in the Summer Reading Program. Studies indicate that summer reading programs have a very positive effect on children’s literacy skills.
National Center for Family Literacy
- Comprehensive background on family literacy programs in the United States with links to many other resource.
National Coalition for Literacy
- Coalition of national organizations working to advance adult education, family literacy, and English language acquisition.
America’s Literacy Directory
- Allows you to search by zip code for literacy programs in your area.
Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy
- Provides funding and visibility for family literacy programs.