Through your affiliation or employment with a CSLP member library, and your use of the CSLP Manual/CD/DVD, you agree to adhere to the Rules of Use, which govern how CSLP’s trademarks and copyrighted material in the Manual/CD/DVD may be used.
Table of Contents
Collaborative Summer Library Program’s acronym, “CSLP”, and its Logo (in color and black and white versions) are its most important assets. CSLP wants to share these assets with its members as well as U.S. military bases, Indian reservations and any countries or territories governed by the laws of the United States of America so they can promote their summer library reading programs. But it’s important to recognize that there are restrictions on their use. *The Logo is protected as a registered U.S. trademark.
Only use the Name and Logo available from the Proprietary Downloads section of CSLP Website.
- Use on promotional materials for summer reading programs e.g. fliers, and posters.
- Use on Member web pages, social media sites, professional media sites, and electronic discussion listservs.
- Use for programming activities, e.g. bibliographies, schedules, take home activities, member created reading certificates, and member created reading records.*
*provided the quantity is less than 10,000, and is printed in house, or by a local printer. If it’s more than 10,000, please contact the exclusive vendor.
- No alteration other than changing the size of the Approved Name and Logo is permitted. Members may use in color or black and white versions in the Proprietary Downloads section of the CSLP website.
- If a CSLP member contracts with a Partner or Sponsor (see below for definitions) , the Partner or Sponsor may only use the Approved Name and Logo on promotional material to indicate an affiliation with CSLP, and for no other purpose.
- If a CSLP member contracts with a Consultant (see below for definitions), the Consultant may not use “CSLP” or the Logo (i) to promote its relationship with CSLP, or (ii) on any Consultant materials. For details about the need for a written agreement between a CSLP member and Consultant, see Third Parties.
During the Program Year (October 1-March 31 of the following year-18 months):
- Use in programming activities.
- Train librarians in preparing for the summer program.
- Cooperate with other state agencies in offering summer library reading programs.
- Translate into any language or adapt into a format to serve persons with special needs.
- Display all Activity pages and Manual Resource lists from the Manual on a Member’s website. Please note they must be removed by the end of the Member’s program.
After the Program Year:
- Continue to use for internal library purposes, but not promote publicly.
*provided the quantity is less than 10,000, and is printed in house, or by a local printer. If the quantity is 10,000 or more, please contact the exclusive vendor. See FAQ #2.
** Use the Picture Protection Script available under Proprietary Downloads to protect the Approved Slogans and Artwork placed on a Member’s website or social media from being copied. If unable to make the Picture Protection Script work, you must include the following wording with the Approved Slogans and Artwork: Images are copyrighted. Contact the CSLP at 1-866-657-8556 or email@example.com for more information.
- No copying of the Manual, except for the Activity pages, calendars and handouts.
- No copying or distributing the CD/DVD.
- No sharing or distributing the Manual to non-CSLP Members.*
- No displaying or transmitting the Manual or CD/DVD online (except for the limited exception of Activity pages on Member websites.)
* Please note that US military bases and US Indian Reservations are considered CSLP members.
To request additional Manuals, please contact CSLP’s Administrative Services, 866-657-8556.
Artwork. Every year, a nationally recognized artist creates Artwork licensed on an exclusive basis for limited period of time to CSLP and its exclusive vendor to illustrate the Slogans. CSLP is privileged to offer its members use of this Artwork, but there are contractual restrictions with the artist and the exclusive Vendor.
Only during the Program Year (October 1-March 31 of the following year-18 months):
- Use, copy, distribute and display the Slogans and Artwork on promotional materials for summer reading programs e.g. fliers, and posters.
- Use for programming activities, e.g. bibliographies, schedules, take home activities, member created reading certificates*, and member created reading records.* See FAQ #2.
- Use, copy and distribute the Slogans on non-paper products (without Artwork) but only if Member uses a font other than the font specified in Proprietary Downloads section. See FAQ #1.
- Use, copy, distribute, display, and transmit the Slogans and Artwork on Members’ websites, social media sites, professional media sites such as electronic discussion listservs. **
After the Program Year:
- Continue to use for internal library purposes, but not promote publicly.
- No use, copying, display or transmission of Slogans or Artwork separate from Members’ promotional or programming use of CSLP summer reading programs.
- No alteration other than changing the size of the Artwork is permitted. Members may use color or black and white versions, available from the Proprietary Downloads section of CSLP Website.
- No use or copying on items similar to Products offered for sale by CSLP exclusive Vendor (for more detail, see Products.)*
* See exception for non-paper products with the Slogans (no Artwork). See FAQ #1.
- Members may customize Products purchased from Exclusive Vendor with Member’s name and the names of its Partners and Sponsors. See FAQ #8.
- Members may resell Products purchased from Exclusive Vendor, solely for the purpose of supporting the charitable or educational purpose of the CSLP Member.
- CSLP Members may not contract with third parties to produce things that are similar in function with Products offered by Exclusive Vendor, unless Exclusive Vendor and CSLP agree. See Custom Items for more detail. See FAQ #7
Exclusive Vendor has the right of first refusal for all paper* and non-paper custom orders that use CSLP art. Intent to custom order paper products with CSLP art must be communicated to Exclusive Vendor by October 15. Custom paper orders refused by Exclusive Vendor may be printed in house by the CSLP member or by a local printer. Members must request a copyright release to use CSLP art for a custom non-paper order refused by the Exclusive Vendor for a product not available on the CSLP order form by submitting a proposal to the chair of the Copyright/Rules of Use committee. Go to the Customized Product Proposal.
*Exception: For quantities less than 10,000, Members may create their own customized reading record or reading certificate, provided, they are printed in house, or by a local printer. No permission is needed to use the Approved “CSLP”, Logo, Slogans or Artwork.
Members may not share:
- CSLP Proprietary Information including RFPs, RFQs, contracts, annual program planning information, and the CSLP Registered Users list with any CSLP non-Member.
Yes, as long as the words of the Slogans appear in a font different from the font used by CSLP.
2. May I create a custom reading certificate or reading record and not use the ones in the Manual?
If you are creating less than 10,000 certificates or reading records, printed at your library or by a local printer, and only using the Approved Name, Logo, Slogans or Artwork , you do not need CSLP’s permission. If you wish to print 10,000 or more, you must contact CSLP’s exclusive vendor. See Slogans or Artwork.
3. Is the art created in-house (the clip art & black/white line drawings) by our exclusive vendor subject to the same Rules of Use as the art that is created for CSLP for the posters, bookmarks, bags, t-shirts, etc.?
Yes. All CSLP art/graphics-pieces created by the nationally-known artists hired by our exclusive vendor and pieces created in-house by our exclusive vendor’s artists-must be used in compliance with the CSLP Rules of Use.
4. I am a school librarian. I want to use the CSLP program manuals at my school and order items from the CSLP catalog/order form for my school. How do I get the materials?
Only public libraries, as defined by the Federal State Cooperative System, are eligible for full and unrestricted membership in CSLP. Therefore, the CSLP materials (manuals and order forms) are only available to CSLP public library members. In the few areas of CSLP member states where there is no public library offering a summer reading program, a CSLP State Representative is allowed to work with a school library that is willing to offer a summer reading program so that the children of that area who would not otherwise have access to a summer reading program can participate. If a CSLP public library member would find it advantageous to initiate a partnership with a local school or non-profit organization to help promote the summer reading program at the public library, they are allowed to do so. A partnership between a public library and local school or non-profit organization must be initiated by the public library CSLP member and is subject to the guidelines of the CSLP Rules of Use.
5. May we use an image from the CD/DVD on a cake for the finale of our summer reading program? A local bakery would produce the cake. It would be a delightful way to end our summer program.
Creating original, unique one-of-a-kind items (such as a cake or quilt or an item not similar to an item offered by CSLP’s exclusive Vendor) with CSLP artwork is acceptable if you submit a Customized Product Proposal to receive a copyright release.
6. Is it OK to edit/alter the CSLP artwork-such as changing the colors or adding color to the line art or photo shopping a piece of art to remove part of it or to add a new element to it?
No, it is not acceptable to alter (other than increasing or decreasing the size) the CSLP artwork. The Rules of Use say you may not: Alter/manipulate CSLP artwork in any manner that changes its original appearance.
7. Is it OK to put CSLP Artworks on t-shirts we did not purchase from CSLP’s exclusive vendor?
No. T-shirts with CSLP Artwork on them are available from CSLP’s exclusive vendor. If you want to create your own t-shirts, you cannot use CSLP Artwork.
8. Is it possible to have the t-shirts we purchase from CSLP’s exclusive vendor customized locally?
Yes, you can purchase your t-shirts from CSLP’s exclusive vendor and have them customized locally with the logos of your program’s sponsors, your library’s imprint, names of staff, etc.
9. Our library staff used the CSLP art to create one quilt to raffle as a grand prize at the end of our summer reading program. Are we allowed to do this?
CSLP members may resell Products purchased from the Exclusive Vendor as well as original, one-of-a-kind items created with CSLP artwork solely for the purpose of supporting the charitable or educational purpose of the CSLP Member.
10. Do CSLP members have permission to use CSLP themed images in our library publications beyond the current year?
CSLP members may use the Manuals/CD/DVD after the Program Year for internal library purposes such as bookmarks, flyers, bulletin boards, etc. that are created in-house.
11. When reading programs are completed, are CSLP members allowed to give away their old Manuals and CD/DVDs, banners, posters, mobiles, etc. that they longer want or need?
CSLP members are not allowed to give away or sell new or used Manuals and CD/DVDs to a person or organization that is not a CSLP member.
When a reading program is completed, CSLP members may give away items such as banners, posters, mobiles, bookmarks, etc. if they do not wish to keep them for their own internal use.
12. Regarding the agreements in the Forms section of the CSLP website–what is required and what is optional?
The CSLP Partner Agreement, the CSLP Corporate Sponsorship Agreement, the CSLP Partner Renewal Agreement, and the CSLP Corporate Sponsor Renewal Agreement are optional. CSLP members should adhere to the Rules of Use regarding Sponsors and Partners. See Third Parties.
CSLP requires that a CSLP Member Library use and customize the Consultant Agreement (Agreement between Library and Consultant for Products or Services using CSLP Material) or use another agreement that has been drafted specifically for its purposes as long as it includes all of the requirements of Section 5 of the Consultant Agreement and adheres to the Rules of Use regarding Consultants. See Third Parties.
CSLP ROU revised October 12, 2012
Contact the Chair of the Copyright/Rules of Use Committee – http://cslpreads.com/membership-sponsorship-2/member-libraries/committees/
CSLP’s Administrative Services Agency (ASA) -1-866-657-8556 or firstname.lastname@example.org